Friday, September 19, 2008

Like Mother-Like Daughter

I definitely think that Olivia gets her sense of wanting to be cuddled ALL THE TIME from me. She sleeps so soundly if she's in your arms or on your lap. She sleeps 4 & 5 hours at a time during the night if she is in the bed between us. But she wakes up within 5 minutes of us putting her in her crib. I can't tell if we are spoiling her by holding her so much, or if it's too early in her life for her to get used to that.

We are still trying to figure her out and we are still learning her signs of being sleepy and her signs of trying to go back to sleep on her own. The books all seem to have different opinions, as do people...so we're just trying to learn about our daughter on our own...we'll see how far it gets us!

5 comments:

Amy said...

plenty of people are huge advocates of co-sleeping...as long as you're taking appropriate safety precautions, and as long as you and Chris are fine with it, go for what works!

as for "spoiling" her...way too early for that, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. you might find this link reassuring. Ask Moxie is a great parenting blog where a wide range of opinions are respected--not militant about extreme POVs. Her view on sleep in the first few months:

"in the first 12-14 weeks of parenthood you should take your lead from Malcolm X: By Any Means Necessary."

:) hope you are getting the rest you need to function.

Amy said...

ok, I totally hope that didn't come across as me being one more person trying to tell you what to do :/ my intent was merely to encourage you to keep doing whatever you're discovering that works and not worry about what people will say!

Michele said...

A video Kevin and I rec'd from Ant (Kev's old room-mate) and his wife, Kristen, talks about how the first 3 months of life are called the 4th trimester and we can't spoil them too much! http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/
Keely's not a crying baby, but the video had some good tips in general! Have fun being a mommy! post more pictures please!

cincychelle said...

Thanks for the tips ladies. It's good to know that we aren't spoiling her...yet! Although, at this point, we are probably spoiling ourselves!

Marion Chaos said...

I agree with everyone! Corey slept by himself from day two. I promised myself I wouldn't do that with Bradley...oh about four hours later...he was in bed with us. I agree with spoiling myself...I enjoy having him close, and hearing his little noises. It's so reassuring that he is right there where I can get to him quickly. Plus, I can get a little more sleep (it's not a sound sleep...but it's sleep!). These days, I'll take what I can get!